Friday, November 25, 2011

Taipei #1 - Saturday




I''m staying at the Grand Hyatt Taipei. It is a nice, if fairly standard business-class hotel across the road from the Taipei International Conference Center (TICC) where IETF is being  held. According to The Internet, which is never known to be wrong about such things, it’s apparently haunted, and has several different tapestries hanging in the entry hall that are supposed to ward off evil spirits and protect the home… 


Breakfast is included in my room rate, so I tried out the buffet this AM. As with other places I’ve stayed in Asia, it’s a huge buffet with a combination of American, European, and Asian breakfast items. So this morning I was able to have: crispy bacon (they made a point to label it “crispy” and indeed it was), honey baked ham, and I could have had an omelette, a crepe, etc if I so desired. However, also on offer were Chinese buns and dumplings, and miscellaneous hot Chinese food items that you wouldn’t normally consider breakfast.  I remember really liking the buns and dumplings from Beijing, and well, I can get an omelette anywhere, so you can guess what I went for. By far the most exotic thing I tried was something called “century eggs” available either by themselves or in shredded pork congee, If that list sent you directly to read the Wikipedia link, don’t feel bad, the only part of that I recognized was “pork” too. Congee is basically rice porridge, and is not all that flavorful by itself, but the pork was a nice addition. The Century Egg in the congee was more of a textural element than it was a flavor, as the pork was the main thing you tasted. I also had a century egg by itself. The egg white was translucent and brown, and had the consistency of gelatin and very little flavor. The best way I know to describe the yolk was that it was “distilled” egg yolk – more concentrated flavor, but you were more aware of the sulfurous and other off-tasting compounds in the flavor profile too. That is to say, it wasn’t bad, but not something I’m likely to crave. They also had a section of fresh honeycomb set up with a tray underneath it, so that you could cut off a section of the honeycomb yourself, and if you wanted, you could get some additional honey from the tray.

 I had some carrot juice this morning, but I hear that it constitutes murder, so I probably should enjoy it sparingly. J








Here's a great picture of the Taipei skyline from a Flickr user. 
If you click to make the picture bigger, and look just to the left of Taipei 101, there is a building with red square lights around the top windows. That was across the square from our hotel, so that gives you an idea of where I was staying. This was taken from the opposite direction (on the hills overlooking the city to the east). My room faced west towards the mountains.


The downside of today is that it’s been rainy and gross much of the day, and I haven’t been inclined to go exploring given the weather. One of the things on my list was to go up on Taipei 101’s observation deck, but the visibility is so low that I think that would be a waste of time and money, so that may have to wait. I did go out at dinnertime and check out the mall at Taipei 101 (it’s basically across the street from my hotel), and it was so misty/foggy that you couldn’t even see the top of the building from the street, so my hunch was correct. 
 The mall is pretty amazing though – it’s 5 floors of all high-end designer shops (Bulgari, Tissot, DeBeers, Emporio Armani, etc). However, the reason that I went over there was to grab some dinner. They have a huge food court on the basement level, probably 40 or 50 different restaurants, including a McDonalds, a KFC, a Subway, a Cold Stone Creamery, and an Auntie Anne’s pretzel place. It’s very busy, and a bit of an assault on the senses, especially for a jet-lagged tourist. Rest assured, dear reader, that I didn’t punk out and fly 10K miles to eat at McDonalds. I found a Japanese place called Momoya, and got a set (combo) with Shrimp Tempura and Udon Noodles, plus a Kirin for about $8.50. It was a good amount of food, and pretty tasty. I saw one of those sushi places where you sit at the bar and take things off of the conveyor belt as they go past, but it had a pretty good line, so maybe I’ll try to hit that some other time. 

No comments: