Thursday, November 24, 2011

24 hours of traveling, part 2, NRT-TPE


Picking up where I left off, in Narita airport...
They delayed boarding slightly due to an aircraft change, and as I checked in they noted that my seat no longer existed. Fortunately, they re-assigned me the equivalent exit row seat, so I was in good shape. The announcements on the plane go tri-lingual for these flights, English, Japanese, and Mandarin. It’s interesting to listen to them back to back like that. We sat on the tarmac at Narita for about 45 minutes, which also made us late getting into Taipei. 
Customs and immigration was a breeze. It actually took me quite a bit longer to get my luggage than it did to go through immigration. I was curious to see if they were going to say anything about my passport, because while the US (and many other countries) are not required to have a visa to visit Taipei, their visa/entry rules require at least 6 months’ validity remaining on one’s passport. My passport expires on May 27 2012, so I had a margin even from the end of the trip, but I definitely had to double-check to make sure I didn’t have to renew before I left, and they didn’t say anything.

The word from Those Who Know These Things is that not a lot of places in Taipei take credit cards, taxis definitely don’t, and outside of hotels, an Amex (my corporate card) is a useless green hunk of plastic. So, I needed to get cash. Bank of America participates in the inaccurately named Global ATM Alliance so that you might have a chance of getting money internationally without paying exorbitant banking fees. Europe, ok, Canada, no problem. Africa, Central and South America, Caribbean, etc are a bit hit or miss, especially since BoA only recognizes reciprocal relationships with a bank in its home country (that is, Deutsche Bank in Germany is ok, but not in Poland, etc). Asia? [crickets] Nada, zip, zilch. BoA at least has a direct affiliation with China Construction Bank so that you can get money in China (I used it last year in Beijing), but it’s not applicable to branches in Hong Kong, and they have nothing in Taipei, so I stopped at the first ATM I saw. My general assumption is that it’s still cheaper to get local currency via an ATM than via the currency exchange in the US, and I’m not keen on traveling with a large amount of USD to change once I get here anyway. In general, I sort of feel like if you fancy yourself a global (or even National) banking player, it shouldn’t be my problem that you aren’t where I am when I need money. I can understand hitting me with a charge if I am too lazy to go even slightly out of my way to get to the closest BoA (or affiliate) ATM within a certain distance radius, but if you don’t have *any* options for me, you shouldn’t be charging me for the “convenience” of accessing my own money. If you lose money eating the other bank’s fees, that should be your incentive to get a reciprocal relationship set up, or get some ATMs deployed. But given that this is the bank that thought it would be a good idea to charge $5/month for people to, you know, use their debit card for actual its intended purpose, I’m not holding my breath.

There was a huge line for the taxi stand, due to the fact that several international flights had landed at about the same time, and it was pretty late. I wasn’t really keen on waiting in the line, as it looked like it was actively losing ground (far fewer taxis taking people out of the queue than new people entering), and it was already 11pm local time, meaning that I'd been up for 26+ hours straight. So when someone came up to me and tried to sell me a taxi ride as I was trying to find the end of the taxi line, I accepted, despite my better judgment. I knew that normal taxi fare from the airport to downtown was usually NT$1200-1300 (which is usually meter fare + tolls), so when he offered a NT$1400 flat rate, I figured the extra $3-5 US was worth the convenience of getting to my bed that much quicker. The fixer made a call on his cell phone, walked me over to the arrivals curb, and within 2 minutes, up drove my cab (Toyota Corolla, I think). I noted that the driver slipped the fixer a bit of cash, so I guess it benefits both of them. Fortunately it was a licensed cab (though the driver didn’t match the picture on the license) just running off-meter. In 40 minutes or so, I was at my hotel, receipt in hand, and I daresay that the driver was more responsible than some of the cabs I’ve had to/from Dulles. I didn’t see anything notable in terms of cars, but that probably had a lot to do with the fact that it was rainy and late on Friday night. I did note two things on the ride – a lot of the trucks and buses have LED lights that flash or change color (blue, red, green, white, etc) to make them more visible, either aesthetically or for safety reasons, and there were a few places where some construction of piers for the new MRT (Mass Rail Transit) extension to connect Taipei with the airport had created some low overhangs, and they were festively decorated with yellow LED rope lights instead of low clearance signs.

No comments: